GhanaQuest

This will be a journal of my missionary trip to Ghana. We will be representing the Church of Christ. We pray much good will be done and many souls will be added to the church.

My Photo
Name:

Hello, Please enjoy my musings...

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Monday, July 17, 2006

Monday, July 17, 2006

We awoke to a cool African morning. There has been rain and cloud cover for a couple of days. This is salvation for the crops here. It had been too long since the last set of rains.

We said our goodbyes to our Bunkpurugu brothers (receiving more chickens), packed up, and started for Saboba.

A 3 hour bus ride over roads recently eroded by the rain, and we were in Saboba. This village brought a new language, new culture, and news from the States. There is a cell tower here. Many calls were made and received. Ted called and we had a good conversation and I was happy to receive a call from Penny and the kids.

The rooms in our motel are a bit nicer than the last. We have running water and electricity. The rooms are round for protection against evil spirits, I am told.

I’ve been noticing scars or markings on the people’s faces. They differ from village to village. I am told these are tribal markings. It is something to note that when they convert to Christianity, they must leave many traditions behind. They must be very brave and committed to take such a step. I’m sure they suffer persecution from village and family because of their choice. There must be a sermon in there somewhere.

After dinner, the congregation here in Saboba came to our compound to greet us and to receive “exhortation” from us. They were introduced to us after we were introduced to them. This is done in a very serious manner, seated and facing one another. After the introductions, we learned about their work here and then Bill and I gave them words of encouragement. We prayed together and the ceremony was over. This has been the way it goes every time we meet with new people.

After sitting a spell and telling old stories, it was bed time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home