Friday, July 14, 2006
Friday, July 14, 2006
Ted sent 4 packages to be opened at specific times during the trip. This morning 2 were opened. The first was to be awarded to the first to “Triple Jump” on the campaign. This refers to, lets just say, making haste to a private place when nature calls … again, and again, and again … Quansah, our bush preacher was victorious and received one roll of toilet paper for himself.
The second package required David to open as Rick and I played an appropriate “tune” on our harmonicas. We were to be facing home and we chose “home on the range” to play. Bill would take pictures. The package was opened as the harmonicas were played. It was bacon! Bacon! After fish heads the night before, it was bacon! Cobbinah and Paul cooked it up and it was enjoyed by all.
Today’s seminars went well and much instruction was given and received. The members here soak up the Word of God as bounty soaks up a spill. Their questions are great. We see by their questions that they are paying close attention and they are concerned about carefully following Gods will!
We were able to help one of the members, a song leader and active brother, who rides a long way to church on his bicycle. His front tire was split and for only $4.50 he would be able to attend services. Not much to us, but $45,000 to him! We were happy to do it as he has been of great help in translating for us.
Upon returning, we noticed an odd silence. No goats braying or roosters crowing. Their fate is now certain and we will be fed goat this evening. The roosters were sold.
Rick has taken an interest in the Bimoba language and spent much time after a good lunch sitting and learning from Niipaak and 5 of the other northern brothers. They are having fun teaching him and listening to him “try” to speak Bimoba.
The street preaching tonight followed a long drive into farm country. I sat on the bus with the 2 song leaders we have been working with in the north. We became close friends on the ride out and I even learned one of their songs – translation and all. Now I can sing with them.
As we set up, it became obvious we were in a farming area. Bus, Bugs, Bugs! Big Bugs!
The movie and preaching went well but there was no response to the invitation at all. Rick had given the invitation and then Bill spoke some more. After some time singing, the local preacher (a different language even from Bimoba – our 3rd this trip) spoke to them at great length. It turns out that someone had gotten to this village and told them that the Church of Christ had many rules and regulations that would make it impossible for them to keep! Bill, discovering this, spoke on the subject of “Bible only” – and “authority of God and Christ” – no other rule book! 53 responded as their fears and prejudices against the Gospel were put away! After a short walk to the river, I had 53 more brothers and sisters in Christ and a new congregation was established (Tojing # 2).
Bed tonight by 1 AM!
Ted sent 4 packages to be opened at specific times during the trip. This morning 2 were opened. The first was to be awarded to the first to “Triple Jump” on the campaign. This refers to, lets just say, making haste to a private place when nature calls … again, and again, and again … Quansah, our bush preacher was victorious and received one roll of toilet paper for himself.
The second package required David to open as Rick and I played an appropriate “tune” on our harmonicas. We were to be facing home and we chose “home on the range” to play. Bill would take pictures. The package was opened as the harmonicas were played. It was bacon! Bacon! After fish heads the night before, it was bacon! Cobbinah and Paul cooked it up and it was enjoyed by all.
Today’s seminars went well and much instruction was given and received. The members here soak up the Word of God as bounty soaks up a spill. Their questions are great. We see by their questions that they are paying close attention and they are concerned about carefully following Gods will!
We were able to help one of the members, a song leader and active brother, who rides a long way to church on his bicycle. His front tire was split and for only $4.50 he would be able to attend services. Not much to us, but $45,000 to him! We were happy to do it as he has been of great help in translating for us.
Upon returning, we noticed an odd silence. No goats braying or roosters crowing. Their fate is now certain and we will be fed goat this evening. The roosters were sold.
Rick has taken an interest in the Bimoba language and spent much time after a good lunch sitting and learning from Niipaak and 5 of the other northern brothers. They are having fun teaching him and listening to him “try” to speak Bimoba.
The street preaching tonight followed a long drive into farm country. I sat on the bus with the 2 song leaders we have been working with in the north. We became close friends on the ride out and I even learned one of their songs – translation and all. Now I can sing with them.
As we set up, it became obvious we were in a farming area. Bus, Bugs, Bugs! Big Bugs!
The movie and preaching went well but there was no response to the invitation at all. Rick had given the invitation and then Bill spoke some more. After some time singing, the local preacher (a different language even from Bimoba – our 3rd this trip) spoke to them at great length. It turns out that someone had gotten to this village and told them that the Church of Christ had many rules and regulations that would make it impossible for them to keep! Bill, discovering this, spoke on the subject of “Bible only” – and “authority of God and Christ” – no other rule book! 53 responded as their fears and prejudices against the Gospel were put away! After a short walk to the river, I had 53 more brothers and sisters in Christ and a new congregation was established (Tojing # 2).
Bed tonight by 1 AM!


2 Comments:
I can understand their
reluctance, it is a bit over-
whelming. When I was first studying
with my sisters they kept telling
me that I was not a Christian, even
though I had been water baptized
and believed in Jesus as God. I also believed in the gifts of the holy spirit. I seemed to be wrong on all counts with my new breatheren. It was overwhelming.
I am still in a state of sometimes
being overwhelmed by all the fine
detail in the bible having to know it all is something I do not think I WILL EVER ACCOMPLISH. The important thing is to believe that
Christ is God, admitt to sin, repent-for real and be water baptized. This does not seem so complicated and does not require bible scholarship.
It sounds like you are growing in Christ as we all should. I think you are on the right (narrow) road.
tim
Post a Comment
<< Home