July 8, 2006 Sat.
Our day began early to the sound of sweeping and conversation. The Ghanaians sweep their porches and courtyards each morning first thing.
Then there were the sounds of vendors walking up and down the street with their "wears" on the heads. "White bread", "Maze", "Plantain", they would call.
Ernest and family prepared coffee, bread and jam for breakfast. Afterwards, as I studied, I listened to "Fear Factor" on the TV. That show must transcend all cultural boundaries!
As we waited for Owusu, we sat atop the house and watched people and very large lizards go by.
About 1 PM Owusu, Paul, Cobbinah, Ernest, and us drove to the next city - Kpone - to have lunch. It was to be "fu-fu". This is a write of passage for Ted's groups. Some do OK, some do not. After hearing so much about it, I was glad to be trying it at last! Fu-fu is a root, pounded then mixed with plantain and is much like raw bread dough. You are to pinch off a piece and dip it into a peanut soup. This is done entirely without the use of utensils.
The meal was surprisingly very good, and became more of a fellowship than a meal. We all talked, laughed and told stories. Most of which were about Ted eating fu-fu and other things. We even called him from the table, as our Ghanaian brothers were missing him so. It was a great meal and we all grew closer together as a result. These men are quickly becoming family. Owusu was our host in his new home. It is out in the country and large. He is very happy to be there with his family.
The ride to and from Kpone was eye opening. The people, the landscape, the housing - very different, but somehow, the same.
We are millionaires! Yes, we changed some dollars into their money: cedis. Its about 10,000 to one exchange rate. So, we are millionaires! (until it's time to buy souvenirs!)
We rested a bit and by 7 PM we were sitting in front of Ernest's TV watching the world cup match between Germany and Portugal. Ernest and I were rooting for Germany. The first half went scoreless and I was afraid that I wasn't going to experience a goal in Ghana. I had been told the Ghanaians yell and scream and will even run into the street in celebration of a goal. Fortunately, Germany scored 3 times in the second half! The stories were true! Celebration was heard throughout the city upon each goal.
Ernest and I went away happy as Germany was victorious and I got to experience "football" in Ghana. David experienced "goat on a stick" during the game, as well.
Tomorrow we preach. I'm a bit nervous, but it is easy to see - God is with us!
Then there were the sounds of vendors walking up and down the street with their "wears" on the heads. "White bread", "Maze", "Plantain", they would call.
Ernest and family prepared coffee, bread and jam for breakfast. Afterwards, as I studied, I listened to "Fear Factor" on the TV. That show must transcend all cultural boundaries!
As we waited for Owusu, we sat atop the house and watched people and very large lizards go by.
About 1 PM Owusu, Paul, Cobbinah, Ernest, and us drove to the next city - Kpone - to have lunch. It was to be "fu-fu". This is a write of passage for Ted's groups. Some do OK, some do not. After hearing so much about it, I was glad to be trying it at last! Fu-fu is a root, pounded then mixed with plantain and is much like raw bread dough. You are to pinch off a piece and dip it into a peanut soup. This is done entirely without the use of utensils.
The meal was surprisingly very good, and became more of a fellowship than a meal. We all talked, laughed and told stories. Most of which were about Ted eating fu-fu and other things. We even called him from the table, as our Ghanaian brothers were missing him so. It was a great meal and we all grew closer together as a result. These men are quickly becoming family. Owusu was our host in his new home. It is out in the country and large. He is very happy to be there with his family.
The ride to and from Kpone was eye opening. The people, the landscape, the housing - very different, but somehow, the same.
We are millionaires! Yes, we changed some dollars into their money: cedis. Its about 10,000 to one exchange rate. So, we are millionaires! (until it's time to buy souvenirs!)
We rested a bit and by 7 PM we were sitting in front of Ernest's TV watching the world cup match between Germany and Portugal. Ernest and I were rooting for Germany. The first half went scoreless and I was afraid that I wasn't going to experience a goal in Ghana. I had been told the Ghanaians yell and scream and will even run into the street in celebration of a goal. Fortunately, Germany scored 3 times in the second half! The stories were true! Celebration was heard throughout the city upon each goal.
Ernest and I went away happy as Germany was victorious and I got to experience "football" in Ghana. David experienced "goat on a stick" during the game, as well.
Tomorrow we preach. I'm a bit nervous, but it is easy to see - God is with us!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home