July 9, 2006
Today was a blessed day.
It started at 4 am when Bill arrived to meet Paul to go do a radio show. Paul translated as Bill gave a powerful lesson.
By 7 pm we were having coffee and eating "Tom Brown" and omelets prepared by Ernests wife Lucy. Very good!
Our assignments for preaching were as follows: Rick would preach at Hanna, David would preach at Tema, and I at Kpone.
David went with his ride while Rick and I, with our translators, were off to our congregations.
Owusu and I were dropped off in Kpone. This is where Owusu preaches.
The singing all morning was outstanding. Some songs were in English so I joined in while others were in "Twi", their language, and Owusu translated for me.
With Owusu translating, I taught the bible class, then the sermon. It was difficult at first, but only for a few moments. Owusu and I got into a rhythm and we preached the word of God - as one!
Ghanaians have many expressions. "Not every day is equal" meaning - take advantage of every opportunity. "July only comes once a year" meaning - Ted's missionary groups come in July, so get as much done as possible. "Satisfaction is not a hunchback" meaning - satisfaction is temporary and a hunchback is permanent, so eat, rest, work, preach while you can because tomorrow you may not be able to.
I am happy to say that I have added to the list of expressions! In my lesson, I used an illustration to express the idea that some people need more instruction than others. The illustration goes like this: A small boy went to his friend to say: "I have learned something new - intelligence." His friend asked him to explain intelligence to him. The boy said: "it's easier to show you than to tell you." So the boy put his hand on the wall and said: "Hit my hand as hard as you can." His friend thought he was crazy but he reached back and went to hit his friends hand. At the last moment, his friend pulled his hand away causing the boy to hit the wall - ouch! The friend said: "See - pulling your hand away was intelligent!" The boy, excited to learn something new, ran off (holding his hand) to tell one of his friends. He found one and said "I've just learned about intelligence but it's easier to show you than to tell you." Looking around, he could not find a wall so he PLACED HIS HAND ON HIS FACE and said: "hit my hand!" The boy needed a little more instruction!!!
While this illustration went well and everyone had a laugh, Owusu picked up on it and we began to refer to anyone who "needed a little more instruction" as having their "hand on their face". I have left my mark on Ghana!
After church we spent some time getting to know everyone. The song leaders name was Benjamin and knew Ted very well. I took pictures and handed out candy to the children - this made me very popular.
We met Rick on the road back and learned that he had a great morning, too, and had a response. Excitedly, we drove to the ocean to watch the baptism. Oh happy day!
2 pm found us at lunch. We went to a great Chinese place that Ted wanted us all to eat at. This time Matilda, Pauls wife, joined us. Also there were Ernest, Cobbinah, Owusu, Rick, David and myself. We had a great fellowship and are bonding into a very close group. These are a great group of Christian people! We all ate plenty, but it was Davids turn to eat Ted's portion - he did!
As the final World Cup football game ways on tonight, no Ghanaian would go out. So we will watch the game with Ernest. It should be another interesting game!
Tomorrow we start off to the North! It's a 13 hour bumpy ride into the wilderness. We plan to be there for 10 days - no electricity or running water. Can't wait?!
It started at 4 am when Bill arrived to meet Paul to go do a radio show. Paul translated as Bill gave a powerful lesson.
By 7 pm we were having coffee and eating "Tom Brown" and omelets prepared by Ernests wife Lucy. Very good!
Our assignments for preaching were as follows: Rick would preach at Hanna, David would preach at Tema, and I at Kpone.
David went with his ride while Rick and I, with our translators, were off to our congregations.
Owusu and I were dropped off in Kpone. This is where Owusu preaches.
The singing all morning was outstanding. Some songs were in English so I joined in while others were in "Twi", their language, and Owusu translated for me.
With Owusu translating, I taught the bible class, then the sermon. It was difficult at first, but only for a few moments. Owusu and I got into a rhythm and we preached the word of God - as one!
Ghanaians have many expressions. "Not every day is equal" meaning - take advantage of every opportunity. "July only comes once a year" meaning - Ted's missionary groups come in July, so get as much done as possible. "Satisfaction is not a hunchback" meaning - satisfaction is temporary and a hunchback is permanent, so eat, rest, work, preach while you can because tomorrow you may not be able to.
I am happy to say that I have added to the list of expressions! In my lesson, I used an illustration to express the idea that some people need more instruction than others. The illustration goes like this: A small boy went to his friend to say: "I have learned something new - intelligence." His friend asked him to explain intelligence to him. The boy said: "it's easier to show you than to tell you." So the boy put his hand on the wall and said: "Hit my hand as hard as you can." His friend thought he was crazy but he reached back and went to hit his friends hand. At the last moment, his friend pulled his hand away causing the boy to hit the wall - ouch! The friend said: "See - pulling your hand away was intelligent!" The boy, excited to learn something new, ran off (holding his hand) to tell one of his friends. He found one and said "I've just learned about intelligence but it's easier to show you than to tell you." Looking around, he could not find a wall so he PLACED HIS HAND ON HIS FACE and said: "hit my hand!" The boy needed a little more instruction!!!
While this illustration went well and everyone had a laugh, Owusu picked up on it and we began to refer to anyone who "needed a little more instruction" as having their "hand on their face". I have left my mark on Ghana!
After church we spent some time getting to know everyone. The song leaders name was Benjamin and knew Ted very well. I took pictures and handed out candy to the children - this made me very popular.
We met Rick on the road back and learned that he had a great morning, too, and had a response. Excitedly, we drove to the ocean to watch the baptism. Oh happy day!
2 pm found us at lunch. We went to a great Chinese place that Ted wanted us all to eat at. This time Matilda, Pauls wife, joined us. Also there were Ernest, Cobbinah, Owusu, Rick, David and myself. We had a great fellowship and are bonding into a very close group. These are a great group of Christian people! We all ate plenty, but it was Davids turn to eat Ted's portion - he did!
As the final World Cup football game ways on tonight, no Ghanaian would go out. So we will watch the game with Ernest. It should be another interesting game!
Tomorrow we start off to the North! It's a 13 hour bumpy ride into the wilderness. We plan to be there for 10 days - no electricity or running water. Can't wait?!


2 Comments:
This is my first visit to a blog. What a great idea. I love reading about the great work you all are involved in. Especially the comments about the side things you do. Please tell everyone we know HI for us.
Keep up the good work,
glenn duncan
Tim,
Great blog! Wish I was with you and my brother!
Speaking of education, Northern Ghana will educate you, especially if you have a chance to go to the market in Bunkpurugu. I will never forget the open air butcher and scattered goat parts!
In Kpone, do they still have dirt floors? Did you think you were at camp?
Two weeks with your brothers and sisters doing the work of the Lord, is there anything better!
You all are in our thoughts and prayers!
Daniel
Post a Comment
<< Home